By no means am I a professional so please make sure to check with your health care provider prior to using any type of oils. Below is only my opinion and knowledge I have gathered through my own research and usage. It is proven that many people have reactions to oils.
All of the oils we carry and sell are from the Local YYC store Apothecary in Inglewood
Grapefruit - Effective for easing depression, exhaustion, reducing stress and reducing symptoms of PMS. This oil helps boost the body's natural detoxification system. Aids in digestion. Helps with diminishing appearance of cellulite and skin imperfects. And it smells amazing.
Rosemary - Rosemary is a powerful mind stimulant. Ideal for dealing with mental burnout, fatigue, mental block and helps fight the feeling of panic, anxiety, confusion and anger. It helps comfort with heart break and grieving. Best used with Rose Quartz stone.
Lemongrass - This oil is my current favourite. Lemongrass helps reduce symptoms such as fevers, infections, indigestion and menstruation problems. it is an immune stimulant. Useful in combatting headaches, stress related conditions, exhaustion, depression, irritability and fatigue.
Citronella - Citronella helps reduce fevers, aids with digestive and menstrual problems massage a drop or two into aching joints and muscles for quick relief. Also useful as a bug and critter repellent.
May Chang - This oil helps relieve arthritis, mental fatigue, lethargy, anxiety, insomnia and depression. It is an exclusive blend of Apothecary's and is often used to cleanse and clear ones energies. I often wear this one on my aromatherapy bracelets or simply add a drop to my writs.
Lavender - lavender known as the Mother of All Oils. Lavender has so many health and healing benefits not to mention the beautiful smell. Here are just a few healing qualities of Lavender. Bites/stings, burns, cuts, fever, inflammation, pain, stretch marks, arthritis, sun burn and for the ladies out there, lavender is great for stress, mood swings, menopause symptoms and helps to calm to allow for a peaceful night sleep.
Eucalyptus - this oil is always ready for those nasty colds and flu. It helps with congestion, coughs, ear inflammation and even helps with jet let.
Peppermint - having an autoimmune disease has me reaching for my peppermint oil every single day. If you were to buy one oil this one would be my recommendation. Here are just a few things you can use peppermint oil for. Antioxidant, bacterial infections, fatigue, cold sores, colon polyps, congestion, muscle cramps and aches, crohn's/colitis, diarrhea, flue, headaches, heartburn, hot flashes, indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, migraines, motion sickness, nausea, ulcers and vomiting.
Spearmint - Spearmint is similar to Peppermint but usually has a sweeter smell. I use spearmint for indigestion, scene, sores, colds and flu, asthma, respiratory, nausea, colic, gas, vomiting, stomach relaxation, headaches and migraines. AVOID DURING PREGNANCY!
Other Helpful Oils
There's an Oil for That! Below you will find a list of other commonly used oils and their healing qualities:
Clary Sage - an amazing oil for the ladies. This oils helps with estrogen balance, hormonal balance, PMS, mood swings and cramps.
Frankincense - not the best smelling of oils but one of the best for health benefits. frankincense is commonly used for arthritis, cancer, concussions, confusions, depression, helps with immune system support, inflammation, mental fatigue, ulcers and even helps with wrinkles!
Lemon - a nice citrus smell. Lemon has so many useful properties. Use it to help with air pollution, anxiety, bites/stings, cold sores, constipation, depression, helps with energy, great as a furniture polish, air freshener, helps with heartburn, hangovers, kidneys stones, relaxation, stress and varicose veins to name a few.
Melaleuca - also known as Tea Tree oil. This oil can assist with acne, allergies, bacterial infection, chicken pox, cuts, ear infections or ear aches, flu symptoms, fungal infections, lice, nail infections, rashes, shock, soar throat, sunburn and also helps with gum diseases, cavities and inflammation.
Where do you get pure Essential Oils?
Essentail oils can be found almost everywhere including you local grocery store. I would suggest finding a local shop that specializes in Apothecary. When purchasing from local grocery stores or corner stores including health food stores you are not certain what the purity of the oil is, the true mix or the fillers they use. Many stores will commission the sales of oils but are not educational on specific usage, dosages, topical or ingestible uses. NEVER INGEST AN OIL without consulting with your doctor or healthcare provider first.
Find a shop that specializes in oils, the healing qualities and that can accurately answer your questions. For example did you know that spearmint should not be used while pregnant? these types of questions are always good to ask a professional.
If you are local to Calgary I highly recommend going to Apothecary aka All Things Jill. Located in the heart of Inglewood. The staff are very knowledgeable, helpful and trustworthy. They carry every type of oil imaginable including some exclusive blends.
These types of shops are in every city, take a minute and find one near you. I promise you will not be disappointed.
Here are a few recommended ways to use essential oils in your every day life.
My top 21 daily uses are:
1. Bath Water - Add 3-8 drops to your bath water for aroma and relaxation.
2. Clothing - Add a drop or two of citronella to the cuffs of your shirts, top of your hate, socks, scarf or collars to repel those nasty bugs and critters.
3. Cotton Balls - Add 1-2 drops of your favourite oil onto the cotton ball, let dry, place in your drawers, closets, boxes or at the bottom of your garbage can to act as a door reducer. Lemon works great in the garbage cans.
4. Improve Your Sleep - Add 1-3 drops of lavender to your pillow or to your child's stuffed animal to help you relax and fall asleep quickly.
5. Dryers - Add a few drops to an old sock or wash cloth, throw in your dryer with other cloths to get a nice light fabric fresher.
6. Heating Vents - Now that it's winter all of us have our heat on (well here in Canada we do) this also works if you have central AC. Take a wood cloths pin, add a few drops to the wood and clip the pin to the under side of the floor vent. When heat or AC runs through the air will flow over the pin and the house will smell great.
7. Shower - Add 1-5 drops to your washcloth and rub over your body.
8. Relieve Tension - Help to relieve anxiety by putting 1 drop of lavender in the palm of your hand, rub together, cup over nose and breath in deeply.
9. Reduce Cellulite - Mix 5 drops of grapefruit oil with 2 teaspoons coconut oil and massage into dimpled areas. This will help reduce the appearance of skin imperfections.
10. Body Spray/Room Spray - Add 5-10 Drops of your favourite oil to 4 ounces of water, shake well and spray.
11. Thicken Hair - Add rosemary to shampoo to naturally thicken hair and increase volume
12. Reduce Stretch Marks - Mix 5 drops Frankincense, Myrrh and grapefruit with coconut oil and apply to stretch marks.
13. Dry Cracked Feet - Add 3 drops of lavender to 2 tbs coconut oil. Apply to the feet at night and sleep with socks on.
14. Relieve Nausea - Breath in peppermint oil through nose to alleviate nausea. Could also apply to the neck and upper chest area.
15. Migraine Relief - Combine a few drops of lavender and peppermint oil and apply to temples to help relieve pain.
16. Heal Burns, Bug Bits and Minor Cuts - Lavender oil. Topically or mix with aloe vera oil and place on the wounded area.
17. Improve Circulation - Add 8-10 drops of grapefruit oil to warm bath water and soak.
18. Reduce Fever - Add 1-3 drops of eucalyptus, peppermint and lavender to a cool cloth and sponge over the body.
19. Sooth Sunburn - Combine lavender or chamomile oil with 1 tbs of coconut oil and apply to affected area.
20. Boost Immune System - Mix one drop oregano with 4 drops carrier oil (coconut oil) and rub on the bottom of the feet. Highly recommended while traveling.
21. Achy Muscles - Mix eucalyptus, wintergreen and cypress with an unscented lotion or coconut oil and apply to achy muscles or joints.